Your source for interesting Pokemon news!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Most Creative Pokemon Names

This is going to be a short two part series here on Master, the first being the most creative (since I like to be positive) and the second part being the least creative. For the most part I am always surprised at how fresh and original they are able to make the names. It must be a little tricky to come up with these names through 600+ different characters. Here are a few of the ones that I think are the most creative of the bunch.

Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam

The three words that I think about when I see magic, and these three can do plenty of that. When Pokemon first came out it took me a while to realize that if these three names were said in a row that you would get a common term used in magic shows. Pathetic, I know.

Kangaskhan

Genghis Kahn, Genghiskahn, Kangaskhan! For a giant wrecking ball of a kangaroo that is one of the more powerful Pokemon in the game I found this name extremely witty. Who ever said that video games can't teach ya history?

Whismur and Loudred


The names upon first read might not sound overly exciting or original, but given the way the two work together to form opposites I really like. Whismur is a small whispering Pokemon, while its evolved counterpart is loud and obnoxious. I find that little quirks like this tend to liven up the game and make it interesting to think about.


Hippowdon


When I think of this Pokemon, I think The Godfather, and anything associated with that movie is awesome by association. This guy is the don, or boss, of all the hippos, which is pretty serious business. Despite hippos cute and cuddly rap, they are actually pretty vicious in real life. Incredibly strong teeth, the ability to sprint very fast, and an incredible mass are all attributes of hippos. Would you want to mess with the KING of all these creature? Yeah, neither would I.

This is by no  means an exhaustive list, and could certainly be enlarged if the write comments come about. Leave a comment with your favorite Pokemon name, I'll take the best one (or two or three) and add it to this list!

No comments:

Post a Comment